A couple of things to draw your attention to, just quickly.
- Tomorrow: join CBAA members for an overview of the Ten Rules of Reporting webinar
- Applications open for Google News Initiative’s Advertising Lab are now open
- Start planning your trip to Port Douglas for the 2024 LINA Summit
- Next shop-talk session: IAB Australia – what’s that all about?
If you have been keeping an eye on our Slack channel you will have noticed some new names popping up. Keep an eye on your inbox for an invite to our ‘meet the team’ webinar for more info about the new crew of people here to support your newsroom and their various expertise. Meanwhile, here are a few other things of note…
LINA is working on submissions to the Murdoch Media Inquiry Bill 2023 and feedback on draft legislation to give the ACMA more powers to combat misinformation and disinformation. If you have thoughts for inclusion on either, feel free to share them with Claire Stuchbery this week.
In other news, an Advisory Group of LINA members held its first meeting to talk about collective advertising representation this month. Thanks to Lawrence Gibbons, Troy Dodds, Diana Paton, Rebecca Guest and Gendy Parry-Okeden for contributing to this group. The first thing agreed was the need for some more detail on what LINA members are currently using/selling to advertisers to help us steer the brief on tech integrations. We’ll be sending through a survey on the topic very soon.
The Google News Initiative has just opened applications for a free 9-month Advertising Lab for Australian and New Zealand news organisations. The program centres around digital advertising and is designed to suit a wide variety of news publishers – from those taking their very first steps in digital advertising right through to those with an active Google Ad Manager or other ad server implementation.
The Lab will include:
- Training courses in two streams, covering an introduction to digital advertising for those publishers beginning this journey, and Google Ad Manager and sales optimisation for those publishers who are already running some form of digital advertising. Both streams will be delivered in like-cohorts with supporting materials provided to ensure content relevance and effectiveness
- Diagnosis of current site and ad server setup led by expert consultants
- Hands-on 1:1 technical support to address and improve site and advertising performance
Last week Dannielle Maguire from the Audience Team at ABC News Digital spoke to LINA members about SEO and how it can be our friend, not our foe. If you missed the session, don’t forget you can watch any of the shop-talk topics back here.
COMING UP: Our next session will be held on 22nd August with guest speaker, Gai Le Roy explaining the role of IAB Australia, the peak trade association for online advertisers and the resources they offer to optimise your advertising revenue. Any member of your team is welcome to join, just flick our Member Engagement Coordinator, Emma Marshall an email for the link.
It’s time to head north (for most of us) to the 2024 LINA Summit in Port Douglas. Don’t forget to mark your calendars and stay tuned for travel subsidy information. Our accommodation partners for the 2024 LINA Summit include Star Resorts and Plaza Port Douglas, who are both offering discounted rates for LINA delegates.
Take advantage of the following offers and opportunities anytime:
- Renew your multimedia insurance at discount rates through KBI Group
- WordPress users can save time on your newsletter process with Newsletter Glue. Use the code LINA30M at checkout to pay only $30 per month and ask Claire Albrecht to help set up your template – she’s all over it!
- Working with a Board or Management Committee? We’ve added a Board Skills Matrix to our templates list to help guide your recruitment.
- Pro bono pre-publication legal checks thanks to our partners at the ABC > submit a request anytime here.
- Have you claimed your 12 month Canva Pro subscription yet? Use the LINAXCANVA code to redeem here.
- VettNews offers LINA members a 25% discount on their complaint handling tool. Check it out here.
- Check out handbooks on ChatGPT and other training resources, plus links to some tech tools of note in the Members Area of our site.
- Want to collaborate with an ABC journalist on a big story you have brewing? Submit an expression of interest here anytime.
- Catch up on recent shop-talk discussions and takeaways from the LINA Summit held earlier this year.
LINA, PO BOX 564, Alexandria, NSW 1635, Australia
If you’d no longer like to receive emails from us, you can unsubscribe here.