There have been quite a few ‘firsts’ this month and a lot to update you on, including:
- Reminder: The Annual Member Update 2023 – Thursday 16 November 5:00-6:00 PM. Related viewing: Our Annual Report 2022-2023.
- The inaugural LINA x Digital Publishers Alliance (DPA) showcase webinar.
- New member resources, including a searchable research repository with quotes, stats and data for use in your media kits, grant applications, accreditation and/or promotion.
The Annual Member Update 2023 will be online at 5:00pm (AEDT), Thursday 16 November. The Board will provide members with an update on our progress over the year. This is also an opportunity to ask questions of the Board. All members of your team are welcome to this online event so feel free to share this invitation on to relevant staff.
Recently added member resources can be found in the Members Area of the LINA website, including:
- A timesaving Research Repository: A searchable repository of facts, stats, quotes and research evidence as a quick-reference tool. Type a keyword into the search box and find a quotable reference to support your e.g, grant applications; media kits; and letters.
- DPA x LINA webinar on CMS: Our first showcase series webinar was attended by around 30 DPA and LINA members on 10 November. View the recording in the Members Area.
- New Shop-talks have been added the Members Area: Networking – “Stop Doing” List with accompanying Start Stop Continue Workbook providing practical steps in optimising your workflow; and News Media: From Platforms to AI, hosted by Dr James Meese about how digital news media has transformed across platforms.
- A digital ad sizing guide: The Smell of Freshly Baked Ads on how to publish digital ads and an explanation of standard IAB ad sizes (and why they’re important).
- A self-paced course ‘Introduction to Media Law for Publishers’ available on demand on the LINA website
- An explanatory list of potential revenue sources for publishers
- Advice on running a smooth web platform.
Need help with tech stuff? Ask Kris.
Schedule a booking with Kris for advice and support around everything tech and web for your individual requirements.
Registrations will open in December. In the meantime, keep an eye out for flight specials!
Claire Stuchbery attended the CBAA Conference in Adelaide this month along with LINA members, Peri Strathearn (Murray Bridge News), David Washington (Solstice Media), Tony Smythe (Eastside Radio) and Benjamin Erin (8CCC). Peri spoke on a panel about amplifying local news and Claire presented on effective advocacy strategies.
The event provided a good opportunity to connect with other community media and continue conversations with representatives from the Department of Communications, including Minister Rowland’s team.
Meanwhile, Emma Marshall represented LINA at the ABC Roundtable discussion exploring ways to work with local media in their new head office locale, Parramatta.
We’re excited to welcome two new members, Sydney Times based in Edgecliff, NSW with Axel (aka Aksel) Ritenis as Director and Publisher; and The Western Echo with Melanie Grevis-James as Editor and Publisher, based in The Gap Qld. Welcome to LINA!
LINA’s partnership with KBI Insurance Brokers facilitates access to their tailored insurance offering for LINA members which offers:
- Customised coverages designed for your industry (designed in partnership collaboration with LINA),
- Competitive pricing,
- Streamlined renewal process,
- Strong service commitment to members;
- Tailored advice.
Google Learning Sessions
Nov 21 – Session 1: Privacy Sandbox Overview and How Should Publishers Prepare 4pm AEDT
The first of two sessions is designed for business (non-technical) audiences. We will provide an overview of the evolving privacy landscape, the Privacy Sandbox journey and outlook for Web and Android, and how Privacy Sandbox technologies can support publishers to prepare for phasing out third-party cookies in Chrome.
Nov 22 – Session 2: A Deep-dive into the Privacy Sandbox APIs for Publishers 4pm AEDT
The second session is suitable for technical and developer audiences. Gain a comprehensive understanding of the Privacy Sandbox Ads and Privacy APIs, how they work, and how they can be used and implemented to create a privacy-first web.
Take advantage of the following offers and opportunities anytime:
- Ask a question of your peers in the LINA Slack Channel
- Renew your multimedia insurance at discount rates through KBI Group
- WordPress users can save time on your newsletter process with Newsletter Glue. Use the code LINA30M at checkout to pay only $30 per month and ask Claire Albrecht to help set up your template – she’s all over it!
- Working with a Board or Management Committee? We’ve added a Board Skills Matrix to our templates list to help guide your recruitment.
- Pro bono pre-publication legal checks thanks to our partners at the ABC > submit a request anytime here.
- Have you claimed your 12 month Canva Pro subscription yet? Use the LINAXCANVA code to redeem here.
- VettNews offers LINA members a 25% discount on their complaint handling tool. Check it out here.
- Check out handbooks on ChatGPT and other training resources, plus links to some tech tools of note in the Members Area of our site.
- Want to collaborate with an ABC journalist on a big story you have brewing? Submit an expression of interest here anytime.
- Catch up on recent shop-talk discussions and takeaways from the LINA Sydney Summit.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH
LINA, PO BOX 564, Alexandria, NSW 1635, Australia
If you’d no longer like to receive emails from us, you can unsubscribe here.